Sunday, August 21, 2011

How (NOT) To Ruin Something That You Love

Those who have succeeded at anything and don't mention luck are kidding themselves.  ~Larry King

There are things that I love to do... drive, cook, read, write, knit, laugh, etc. This is me in a nutshell. If I can't do these things, I don't know who I am.

The other day in a bout of stupidity/laziness/not paying attention, I ruined something that I love. Cooking. Luckily, I love cooking so much that even after my accident I wanted to create something yummy. I managed to cut (deeply) the meaty part of my palm the other night. It required ten stitches (two of which were internal). I was lucky that I didn't cut my fingers off, as the knife was new and really sharp. I have since downgraded to a "lesser" knife, with hopes of conquering my fear to go back to the good knife someday.

I was lucky to have Beth with me, both at the house and in the emergency room. She kept me laughing and less focused on my injury. I was so angry at myself. The whole time I was just thinking of how good my lunch was going to be the next day, if I was able to complete the task at hand (no pun intended).

I got up the next morning and continued cooking my lunch for that day. I needed assistance with somethings: opening something, chopping garlic, grinding salt and pepper into the pan. In the end, it was delicious. I refused to let this injury/setback ruin my love for cooking. Cooking puts me in a zone of relaxation that I can't describe. I love creating something for everyone to share.

Don't try this at home... it's how you ruin something that you love.

No comments:

Post a Comment